New Grandparent’s Rights Rule in Wisconsin

This spring, in the highly anticipated case, Michels v. Lyons, the Wisconsin Supreme Court changed how the circuit court interprets the Wisconsin grandparent’s rights law. The Wisconsin grandparent’s rights law allows for the circuit court to award visitation to grandparents under certain conditions. This law has been somewhat controversial as the courts must balance the interests of parent’s deemed to be fit making decisions for their children, and the importance of the relationship between grandparents and children. This law applies to paternity and divorce cases where the parents are not married.

In the Michels v. Lyons case, the Wisconsin Supreme Court determined that the Grandparent’s Visitation Statute, Wis. Stat. 767.43, is constitutional which means that grandparents continue to have the right to ask the court to order visitation with their grandchildren. However, in order for the circuit court to award visitation to a grandparent, the grandparent must overcome the court’s presumption that the parent’s visitation decision is in the child’s best interest and prove, with clear and convincing evidence, that the parent’s decision regarding visitation with the grandparents was not in the child’s best interest.

In other words, it is the grandparent’s responsibility to prove to the court, at the highest level of proof required in a civil case, that the parent’s decision (usually to reduce or stop visitation between their child and the child’s grandparent) is not in the child’s best interest. The Court made it more difficult for the courts to substitute what their judgment, or a grandparent’s opinion, of what is in the child’s best interest for visitation for that of a fit parent’s judgment. This can be an uphill battle for a grandparent seeking court ordered visitation.

However, it does not mean that a grandparent cannot succeed in a motion to set grandparent visitation. There has always been an assumption that fit parent’s decisions as to visitation between a child and a grandparent is what is in the child’s best interest. The change is that in a motion for grandparent visitation it is the grandparent’s responsibility to prove that the parent’s decision is not in the child’s best interest. This is a more difficult thing to prove.

There are many fact scenarios where the Court could see that grandparents could be successful. For example, if the minor child has resided with the grandparent for a period of time, or provided care to the minor child on a consistent basis. If a parent decides to cut off all contact between a minor child and a grandparent, especially in such a situation where there is an established relationship in the examples above, it may be appropriate for the circuit court to order visitation in that situation. Grandparents visitation cases may be more common when a parent decides to reside with a grandparent to get back on their feet after the end of a relationship, or during and after a divorce. Depending upon several factors, it may be more likely to see the relationship between a grandparent and grandchild reach a level envisioned by the Court to meet the burden of proof necessary to award court ordered visitation.

This new standard in the grandparent visitation cases places a greater emphasis on fit parents’ decisions regarding visitation between a grandparent and their minor child. However, it still contemplates many situations where there should be visitation ordered by the circuit court when this parental decision can be proven by clear and convincing evidence to not be in the child’s best interest. The Court acknowledges the importance of preserving a relationship between a grandparent and a grandchild.  However, these relationships must be balanced with a fit parent’s decision. If you are involved in a situation regarding grandparent’s visitation, whether you are a grandparent, or a parent, call us at (414) 258-1644 to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your case.

10 thoughts on “New Grandparent’s Rights Rule in Wisconsin

  1. Hi my name is Ronald Fink, I live in Fond du Lac WI. I need to do something so I can see my Grand daughter.
    Is there something that I can file on own in regards to this from my city please
    Thank you,
    Ron Fink

    • You would need to file a motion which you can find online or from the clerk of courts in your county. However, there are very specific grounds you would need to state in your motion. I would strongly advise you consult with an experienced family law attorney in your area. Most family lawyers offer free consultations. They can at least give you some specifics to work from. Good luck.

  2. I live in Waukesha and Paternity has been established in Kewaunee County. My grandsons Mother has been reported several times to CPS by their school, Children’s Hospital and myself. I established a primary physician for them at Children’s and they were in behavioral therapy. Mom is high from the time she gets up to the time she passes out at night. She neglects their health, development and academically. They are behind. One of my Grandson’s showed up with pneumonia twice to my house. Had to rush him to the emergency room. His oxygen levels were below 90. She is disconnected from them. She comes 1st. I have documentation, Hospital records, school records as well as other records to prove she is unfit. I’m not sure what forms to fill out for temporary custody or maybe permanent. When things don’t go her way or she gets mad at me, she rips them out of my life. I am a huge part of their lives. Her behavior is unacceptable.

    • I am not sure what your question is. However, if you are wondering if you should request custody of your grandchildren, I do strongly encourage you to consult with an attorney regarding this issue.

      • I am looking to hire an attorney that can help me establish legal custody/guardianship in this matter. I have ARAG Legal Insurance through the company I work for, which means the legal fees are paid for. I can not seem to find an attorney that has established a relationship with Kewaunee County Family Court. I don’t know who to contact to help me legal wise. I need a referral to a good established Lawyer. Please help. Thank you

        • I am sorry but we do not practice in that area. Therefore, I am unaware of who the experienced lawyers are in your county. I would suggest calling the Wisconsin State Bar Lawyer Referral Service. The number is 1-800-362-9082. Good luck!

    • I am sorry but there are insufficient facts to be able to answer any question you may have. I strongly encourage you to consult with an attorney in your area for more information and advice.

  3. Daughter band us from our grandkids for unknown reason. Having a daughter with a narcissist personality is difficult. Her ex husband will not cross her due to threats. He has stated the fake stories our daughter’s came up with he has never seen nor does he believe.
    He along with Everyone fears her punishment.
    We have been pushed about five years now.
    We Fear putting the grandchildren in the middle of their mother and grandparents.
    Seems narcissistic personality seem to hold weight in this nutty world right now.

    How do you win over that kind of thought process?

    • I am afraid we cannot give legal advice in this forum. This is a complicated area of family law. Therefore, I would strongly advise to consult with an experienced family law attorney to discuss whether you may be successful in a motion for grandparent visitation.

We welcome your comments or questions. We will do our best to try to respond. However, please be advised that we cannot give legal advice in this forum and all communications are for general informational purposes only. Communication should not be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship. This is an open forum and any information you provide may be posted and will not be held confidentially. By posting a comment or question, you are expressly giving consent for the publication of same. If you have any specific legal issues or concerns, we always recommend that you consult with an attorney in the county and state in which you reside.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s