Welcome to the Wisconsin Family Law Blog

WisconsinFamilyLaw.info is a forum of up-to-date legal information related to all aspects of divorce and family law in Wisconsin.  It is our goal to provide meaningful, real time solutions and information to individuals in need of legal advice and fresh perspective.  We understand that legal information and knowledge about your family law rights is critical when needing to make important decisions. Nelson, Krueger & Millenbach, LLC (formerly Nelson & Davis, LLC) invites you to explore our Wisconsin Family Law Blog and research various topics on divorce, child custody and placement, child support, maintenance (alimony), etc. to better your knowledge about your legal rights in Wisconsin.  If you wish to speak with one of our experienced family law attorneys, please contact us at (414)258-1644 or visit our website.

At Nelson, Krueger & Millenbach, LLC, we are committed to supporting our clients throughout any difficult family law matter.  We spend the time needed to gain an understanding of our clients’ goals, values and concerns. Although many family law matters can be contentious, we believe that the best result is often achieved by finding creative solutions to difficult issues. Our lawyers are committed to solving client problems and allowing them to move on with their lives. In the event the parties are unable to reach a resolution, we are committed to obtaining the best possible results for our clients in court. Our clients know that while they will work with one lawyer throughout the process, they have the experience and expertise of the entire firm at their disposal. This allows us to develop the best legal strategy for each client while providing ongoing support during a difficult time.  Consistency of representation is a hallmark of our service. We return telephone calls promptly and answer your questions in a timely manner.

The attorneys at the Wisconsin law firm of Nelson, Krueger & Millenbach, LLC focus exclusively on family law matters.  Our goal is always to provide caring, experienced and diligent representation.  We are committed to superior personalized service and communication with our clients.

Our family law practice includes matters such as: divorce and legal separation, child custody and placement, child support maintenance (alimony), paternity, post-judgment disputes, modifications and enforcement.  We also handle restraining orders for domestic abuse or harassment.

If you are interested in meeting with one of our attorneys, please contact us at (414) 258-1644 to schedule a free initial office consultation.


The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. The information on this website specifically applies to Wisconsin law and may be very different from the laws in other states.  You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. However, contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

11 Comments on “Welcome to the Wisconsin Family Law Blog”

  1. Shannon Says:

    Can a parental grandparent have placement if the biological father (her son) is also awarded placement, regardless of the frequently of the placement? Is there some law that would address this? It feels like this would be overlapping placement and 2 parties would have placement of my children. It would seem that the biological fathers time should also be considered his families time? Is there a law to support this to a GAL or judge?

  2. When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added”
    checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several
    e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Thank you!

  3. Connie Masterman Says:

    What can I expect at my first divorce hearing for temporary orders? Do the lawyers do all of the talking? Do I get to defend my case? How does it work?

    • nelsonda Says:

      It depends on the county but generally the attorneys do the talking with the occasional direct question to the parties. It is an informal hearing, with no court reporter. You should discuss this in detail with your attorney prior to the hearing.

  4. Julie Says:

    My divorce was final in July of 2007. At that time, I was awarded 100% placement and 17% of my ex’s income for child support. I have never had the child support adjusted or reviewed. My Ex husband has since remarried. I am thinking of requesting a review of our child support agreement. My question is, will the court look at his income only or his joint income when calculating a new/updated support order?

    • nelsonda Says:

      Only his income is used. His new wife has no legal obligation to support your child. The statutes do provide that child support may be reviewed/modified after the passage of 33 months from the last order. The statutes also provide, and your judgment of divorce may say this as well, that he is required to provide you income information upon request. I usually start there to see if support will change at all. You should seek a consultation with an experienced divorce attorney to determine your options and possible outcomes.

  5. Jenni Says:

    If you are legally separated in Wisconsin, do you have to maintain car insurance with both parties on the policy? I want to get a policy of my own without my spouse but I’m not sure if that is allowed.

    • nelsonda Says:

      I am finding that some insurance companies are requiring it. I can understand that it if both you and your spouse are on the title to the car. However, there is no “law” which requires it. And, frankly, if you are legally separated, the insurance company should not be requiring it either. If an insurance company is giving you a hard time about that, go to a different company. If the title is the issue, you should have your spouse sign off on the title to put it in your name only. You should probably do that anyway if you are legally separated.

  6. Katie Says:

    If my husband has a deposition because his ex is looking into his finances because she’s pissed for paying child support, can they look into my info as well? What are the limitations on my privacy in this matter? I would like to think that anything involving me is none of her business. We have 3 kids of our own and have his daughter 50/50.

    • nelsonda Says:

      Theoretically, they are not entitled to any of your information as you have no duty to support his children. However, his “general economic circumstances” can be relevant in some situations so your contributions to the household in terms of income may be subject to discovery. This is a rare case, however, beyond tax returns. I would suggest that you/he talk to his attorney about this or if he doesn’t have one, consult with an experienced family law attorney about the entire situation.

We welcome your comments or questions. We will do our best to try to respond. However, please be advised that we cannot give legal advice in this forum and all communications are for general informational purposes only. Communication should not be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship. This is an open forum and any information you provide may be posted and will not be held confidentially. By posting a comment or question, you are expressly giving consent for the publication of same. If you have any specific legal issues or concerns, we always recommend that you consult with an attorney in the county and state in which you reside.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: