Can I Obtain Cell Phone Records or Text Messages in a Divorce in Wisconsin?

When people suspect that their spouse is cheating, they often ask if we can obtain their cell phone records to prove it.

If you are looking for documentation regarding telephone calls, this is readily available via subpoena but meaningless.  A phone call proves nothing.  However, now we are seeing more requests to obtain copies of text messages.  While it seems like this would be a simple task involving a subpoena and a small fee, the truth is that it is nearly impossible to preserve and obtain text messages directly from the carrier.

You may be able to get a log or history of text messaging details (date, time, number) fairly easily. However, most carriers only save the content of text messages for a period of 48-72 hours.  After this time, the text messages are forever purged from the server or database.  The amount of storage required to save every text message sent from every cell phone user prohibits retention of these messages for more than a short period of time.  In order for the carrier to save messages for more than their specified period, they need to be aware of the requirement to preserve the messages.  Every carrier differs in their expectation, but to save messages it requires that an attorney send a preservation letter to the carrier.  This preservation letter informs the carrier that it is necessary for them to retain the messages for greater than a 48-72 hour period.  Most carriers will only “preserve” the messages for two weeks.  If it is necessary to preserve texts for a longer period of time, numerous preservation letters are required.  Some carriers will honor preservation letters sent from an attorney.  Other carriers require a subpoena issued or signed by a judge or court official.  You would have to contact your carrier’s legal department on their requirements for preserving and certifying text messages.

A subpoena of text messages requires a proactive approach which, depending on your reasons for the text messages, may prove to be cost prohibitive or irrelevant.   The question then becomes, why do you want these records?  In Wisconsin, we have a no fault state.  It is completely irrelevant in a divorce that your spouse was cheating in your case.

If you suspect your spouse is cheating, the appropriate response is to confront your spouse and/or get into counseling, either individual or marital, immediately.  If counseling does not work or is not an option, then you need to consider whether you want to file for divorce.  If you file for divorce, you need to accept that Wisconsin is a no fault state and move on to the issues in your case rather than focus on adultery or alleged adultery which is not going to be relevant in your case.  Focus on making sure you that you and your children are protected in your divorce and that you obtain the best possible result for yourself.  Hire an experienced divorce attorney to assist you in this.

To discuss a divorce in Wisconsin, contact our office at 414-258-1644 to scheduled your free initial office consultation or visit our website for more information.

We welcome your comments or questions. We will do our best to try to respond. However, please be advised that we cannot give legal advice in this forum and all communications are for general informational purposes only. Communication should not be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship. This is an open forum and any information you provide may be posted and will not be held confidentially. By posting a comment or question, you are expressly giving consent for the publication of same. If you have any specific legal issues or concerns, we always recommend that you consult with an attorney in the county and state in which you reside.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s